Why should I take on an Apprentice with St Helens Chamber?

03 Jul 2017

Business Business School

Through Apprenticeships, new or existing staff of any age can gain the knowledge, experience and skills needed to make a real difference in your business.

Employed by you, and working full time in your business, Apprentices receive training from our team of qualified trainers, to work towards nationally recognised qualifications. Almost all training takes place at work so you don’t lose people to ‘day release’.

80% of businesses who employ Apprentices think they make the workplace more productive.

Why use St Helens Chamber?

St Helens Chamber is one of the leading providers of Apprenticeships in the North West. We have an excellent track record in helping businesses and their employees to be more successful and we understand that having the right skills, knowledge and attributes is critical to achieving this.

The training and qualifications we provide have been tailored to meet the needs of local businesses – as well as the students we train – so our courses are well respected by local employers.

We deliver training to more than 1,500 people a year, in all kinds of organisations.

All of our younger Apprenticeship applicants complete an induction period at the Chamber before they are sent to you for interview, to make sure that they are ready for the workplace and have the necessary communication and teamwork skills.

We also take the cost and hassle out of the recruitment process by providing you with a shortlist of young people for interview who meet your requirements.

The Apprenticeship Levy

In spring 2017 the way the government funds Apprenticeships in England changed considerably. The Apprenticeship Levy requires all employers operating in the UK, with a pay bill over £3 million each year, to invest in Apprenticeships. If you’re an employer with an annual pay bill of more than £3 million, you will have started paying the levy in May 2017.

Levy paying businesses are able to choose the training provider that delivers the Apprenticeships, the body that will asses them and also what standard or frameworks Apprentices will be working towards achieving.

St Helens Chamber will carry out a free training needs analysis of your workforce and put a fully costed training plan in place, which allows you to recoup the maximum value from your levy contributions through investing in staff training.

Non-Levy payers

Businesses with an annual pay bill of under £3 million are not required to pay an Apprenticeship Levy.  Non-Levy paying businesses are also free to negotiate and agree their Apprenticeship programme with their chosen training provider.

In England 90% of Apprenticeship training and assessment costs will be funded by the government for non-levy paying businesses, with the remaining 10% being paid by the business directly to your chosen training provider.

If you employ fewer than 50 people, you will be able to access fully-funded Apprenticeship training for any Apprentices aged 16-18. Additional funding is also available for 19-24 year old Apprentices who have a local authority education, health care plan.

St Helens Chamber will carry out a free training needs analysis of your workforce and provide you with a fully costed training plan, detailing the best qualifications to suit your business needs and the cost of training. You can rest assured that we will always help you to find the most cost-effective business training.

To find out more about Apprenticeships through St Helens Chamber contact us by calling  01744 742333 or email workforce@sthelenschamber.com.