1st March 2024 - 22nd March 2024
09:00 - 16:30
Construction Training Centre
Are you interested in starting a career in construction or want to learn new skills to use at work or home? This free course will give you the skills and qualification you need to get started.
City and Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills
City and Guilds Level 1 Health and Safety in a Construction Environment
Apply for a FULLY FUNDED CSCS card (if passed health & safety and passed mock CSCS) which is required to work on most construction sites
Throughout the course students will cover a range of modules including:
Introduction Health & Safety in Construction
- Gain knowledge of individuals roles and responsibilities in terms of health & safety within a Construction setting,
- Learn the role of the health & Safety executive, safety signs and their categories including COSHH signs, Risk Assessment and Method Statements and Personal Protective equipment.
Constructing angled halving joints
- Develop the skills needed to work with timber to produce a simple wooden frame using dovetail joints
- Basic woodworking and joinery skills
- Identify the required tools, materials and equipment needed to construct frames
Constructing cavity walls using brickwork and blockwork
- How to set out and build cavity walls using the correct PPE, tools and materials as well as the correct techniques
- Set up a mortar board, stacking the required number of bricks and block required for task using safe lifting technique,
- Build cavity wall to specification and finish brickwork to given specification.
Painting and Wallpapering
- How to prepare and decorate wall surfaces
- Prepare previously decorated wall surface by removing wallpaper, removing paste, filling areas and sanding down to leave smooth finish ready for wallpaper task
- Apply wallpaper by correctly hanging to specifications issued.
Level 1 Health & Safety within a Construction Environment
- This module will support those applicants who are wishing to apply for the CSCS Green card and is intended for those looking to progress in labouring occupations only.
Please note – Learners will need to bring their own safety boots and wear old clothing as practical sessions start from day 1.
Progression and related jobs:
This qualification on completion will quality to work in Construction as an Operative/Labourer as well as kick start careers in Bricklaying, Painting and Decorating and Joinery. Learners could also progress onto our Level 2 Construction course.
Please note that we occasionally may need to amend the dates or cancel our training courses due to a low number of bookings or unexpected staffing absences. We will endeavour to inform you of this with as much notice as possible and offer alternative dates. We can also offer an appointment with our National Careers Service team to review opportunities with other training providers.
For further information about this course contact Starting Point on 01744 698800 or email email@example.com
Call to book